Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Garba Dancing






Diwali, India's equivalent of Christmas and a festival of lights, just finished this past Sunday. All over India, there were rangolis (designs made of colored powder) at people's doorsteps, diyas (colorful clay bowls that are filled with oil and lighted) placed at doorways, around houses (in our hotel i Aurangabad there were placed in the hallways and all over the lobby), lanterns, and so many fireworks that I now laugh at our 4th of July displays. This festival celebrates Ram, Sita, and Ram's brother's return from exile after Ravana, the evil ten headed god, was killed. The lights signify the townspeople lighting the way home and welcoming the three home. On the commercial side of things, Diwali means may sales and discounts, just like Christmas.

Three Fridays ago, before Greg and I left on our respective Week Without Walls trips, the school had a Diwali assembly. when I entered the school that day, there were flower streamers, lights, and ceiling decorations all over the building. It looked beautiful. Most of the staff and students were dressed in Indian wear and there was such a festive spirit in the air. The assembly was where all the time and energy that myself and 15 others spent the past month learning a Garba dance would be shown off. We all gathered to change into our costumes, complete with lots of jewelry and bindis. The earrings were very heavy and as I moved my head around, I was worried my ears were going to fall off. How am I going to dance in these?! At the assemble, many different groups of students performed dances and plays. They were all wonderful and the kids seemed to have a lot of fun. We were on last, as we headed on stage I though, "crap, it's happening. Will I remember the steps?" I was nervous and I had a knot in my chest the full five minutes of the dance. We whirled and twirled, our sparkling dresses swirling about and there were a lot of smiles. It was fun. When the music ended, we had a big applause and we had done it! No major catastrophes or errors. Then there was a feeling of, wow we worked so heard and now it's over. Hmmmm, that's a bit of a let down.

Luckily, we were suck a hit that we have been asked to perform at the PTA gala this weekend so we get another performance, then it's over.:) Once I get a hold of a video of the performance, I'll post it. Until then, enjoy some of the prep photos.

1 comment:

  1. You look great!! Looks like a ton of fun...you guys are so active, taking advantage of every moment - just as it should be!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete